Note to Myself No. 12



When I was in the year-long memoir writing class
at University of Washington,
the instructor extraordinaire Theo Pauline Nestor
said that this Rolling Stones song
was the perfect way to remember
the narrative arc of a memoir.

You can't always get what you want.
But if you try
sometime you just might find
you get what you need.

Think about it.

Life is filled with frustrations,
with detours from the path 
we think we're supposed to follow.
But sometimes, once we're pushed off
"our" path
we find the new one takes us
to strange and wonderful places.

We don't always know
what we need.

Sometimes we learn by 
accident or adversity.

Comments

Annie Jeffries said…
I was pushed off my path this year in a big way. I have, indeed, been taken to some strange and wonderful places.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes Things Aren't What They Seem

Haiku My Heart: May the Fourth Be With You